Friday, January 11, 2013

Colorful Delivery to Wolfson Children's Hospital

I posted a few months ago about a coloring book drive I was doing for the children staying at Wolfson Children's Hospital.

With the help of friends, family and the students at Chets Creek Elementary I collected 778 coloring books, crayons and toys for the kids!  Thank you to everyone who donated even one book!

Yesterday I spent three hours going to each room with a patient at Wolfson.  Some kids were too sick to even sit up but I spoke with them and picked their favorite character coloring book to leave at their bedside for them to color when they felt better.

I think my favorite moment of the day was getting to visit with a two year old little boy that was staying in the oncology unit.  He was sitting on his mom's lap and laying his head on her chest but when I showed him the coloring book and hot wheels car I had for him he sat up and smiled.  That sweet smile made my day.  I know that the surprises made his day a little brighter.

I hope to spend time volunteering again at Wolfson in the near future!  The One to Grow On celebration is coming up soon!

No comments: